Protecting Your Pets from Poisoning: Common Household Items To Look Out For

As pet owners, we want to ensure that our furry friends are safe and healthy at all times. However, sometimes we may not realize that some of the items in our home can be toxic to our pets. March is National Poison Prevention Month, and our team at Signature Veterinary Services wants to do our part to help pet owners learn about how to protect their pets from poisonous items commonly found in their homes.

Five Common Household Items That Can Be Poisonous To Your Pets

Chocolate: Chocolate contains a substance called theobromine, which is toxic to pets, especially dogs. Symptoms of chocolate toxicity include vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and even death. It is important to keep all forms of chocolate, including baking chocolate, out of reach of your pets.

Cleaning Products: Many household cleaning products can be toxic to pets if ingested or inhaled. Products such as bleach, ammonia, and drain cleaners can cause respiratory distress, skin irritation, and even death. Always make sure to store these items in a safe place, and keep your pets away from them while in use.

Plants: Some plants can be poisonous to pets if ingested. Examples include lilies, azaleas, and daffodils. Symptoms of plant poisoning can include vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy. If you suspect your pet has ingested a toxic plant, seek veterinary attention immediately.


Medications: Many human medications can be toxic to pets. Pain medications, such as ibuprofen and acetaminophen, can cause liver and kidney damage. Antidepressants can cause lethargy, vomiting, and seizures. Always keep medications out of reach of your pets, and never give them human medication without consulting with a veterinarian.

Certain Foods: Some human foods can be toxic to pets. Examples include grapes and raisins, which can cause kidney failure in dogs. Onions and garlic can cause anemia, and fatty foods can cause pancreatitis. Make sure to keep these foods out of reach of your pets, and never feed them human food without consulting with a veterinarian.

Identifying the Warning Signs of Poison Ingestion in Your Pets and How to Keep Them Safe

It is important to be aware of the potential hazards in your home that can be toxic to your pets. Always keep toxic items out of reach, and if you suspect your pet has ingested something toxic, seek veterinary attention immediately. With a little bit of caution and awareness, you can help keep your pets safe and healthy.
If a pet owner suspects that their pet has ingested something poisonous, it is crucial to act quickly to ensure their pet’s safety. Some common signs to look out for include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, seizures, and difficulty breathing. If your pet displays any of these symptoms, it is essential to seek veterinary attention immediately.

Emergency Pet Care In San Diego, California

In cases where a pet has ingested something poisonous, Signature Veterinary Services can provide prompt and effective treatment. Our team of experienced veterinarians can diagnose the problem, provide supportive care, and administer medications as needed. With our 24/7 emergency care, pet owners can rest assured that their furry friends are in good hands. Call Us to speak to someone from our team and discuss your pets care or to Schedule an Appointment today!